Saturday, July 9, 2016

So, recently I've been battling with a lot of different things going one with me. I've been on a low dose medication for my depression, which has kept it fairly well manageable but as a result, other problems I have have started becoming more prevalent. During an argument with my husband about our relationship a few months ago, something I said must have triggered something else in his brain because he pointed out that I seem to be exhibiting many of the same ADHD symptoms that his ex-wife had. I also knew that my mother had been diagnosed with adult ADHD and my son's step mother and I had discussed the possibility that he had it as well. So I scheduled an appointment with my doctor. I then had to wait for a time when someone from the Mental Health Association in town would be there. So earlier this week, I got to sit down and discuss it with someone who knows. And yes, I have mild adult ADHD. The problem being that they don't treat adult ADHD so I'm being referred back to my PCP for treatment. This might mean medication or not. They are trying to get a counselor on staff at least part time so I will be notified about that. I was told that I would benefit more from counseling as opposed to a case worker, which many adults have. But the most important thing was that I was told to find a book about my condition. So after work the other day, I went by the library on post. It turns out most books available about ADHD are geared more towards parent and/or teachers dealing with children with the condition, but I did find a couple of books to check out. The first one, which I am currently reading, feels more like a personal book of revelations than anything else so far. I can't go through a single page without encountering a sentence that describes either something I've felt or done, or how someone has told me I act. This book is called FAST MINDS, which they use as an acronym. Forgetful Achieving below potential Stuck in a rut Time challenged Motivationally challenged Impulsive Novelty seeking Distractible Scattered. I'm only into chapter 3 thus far, but I already feel like I'm not a hopeless case. So often I haven't been able to figure out WHY I can't accomplish things that others are able to, or that my husband wants me to (this being the most important one because it's putting strain on our relationship).

No comments:

Post a Comment